March 31st, 19885 was the birth of a wrestling extravaganza, known as WrestleMania. It was a huge risk by WWE chairman Vince McMahon but it was one that ultimately paid off.
Date: March 31, 1985
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
1. Tito Santana df. The Executioner
2. King Kong Bundy df. Special Delivery Jones
3. Ricky Steamboat df Matt Borne
4. David Sammartino vs Brutus Beefcake ended in a no contest
5. Junkyard Dog df Intercontinental Champion Greg Valentine by DQ
6. Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik df The US Express to become new WWE Tag Team Champions
7. Andre the Giant df Big John Studd in a Bodyslam Challenge
8. Wendi Richter df Lelani Kai to become new Women’s Champion
9. Hulk Hogan and Mr. T df Rowdy Roddy Riper and Paul Orndorff in a Tag Team match
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania I
1. WrestleMania I was the only time that the main event featured a Tag Team match. Only one other main event has featured four men, which was at WrestleMania 2000 when Triple H defended the WWE Championship in a Fatal Four Way. It is also the only WrestleMania not to feature a WWE Championship match.
2. Among the celebrities as the first WrestleMania was Liberace and Muhammed Ali, who served as guest time-keeper and guest referee/enforcer for the main event respectively. Singer Cyndi Lauper accompanied Wendi Richter to the ring for her Women’s title match.
3. The name ‘WrestleMania’ was created by ring announcer Howard Finkel and was inspired by The Beatles ‘BeatleMania’ frenzy. The original name for the event was ‘The Colossal Tussel’ but Vince McMahon scrapped the idea to go with Finkel’s creation.
4. Mr. T was one of only two celebrities to compete in the main event at WrestleMania, with Lawrence Taylor being the other celebrity to complete in the main event, when he faced off against Bam Bam Bigelow at WrestleMania XI.
5. King Kong Bundy defeated SD Jones in 24 seconds but the match was originally only meant to last just nine seconds, a record at the time. Bundy claimed that SD Jones was at fault in that he did not want to lose in a quick match and would not go to the mat when he was supposed to.
WWE Network subscribers can relive WrestleMania I at this link.