We head to Toronto’s Skydome for WrestleMania VI as Hulk Hogan went face-to-face with the Ultimate Warrior in the main event with both the Intercontinental title and the WWE Championship up for grabs.
Date: April 1, 1990
Location: Skydome, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1. Rick Martel df Koko B. Ware
2. Demolition df Colossal Connection to become new WWE Tag Team Champions
3. Earthquake df Hercules
4. Brutus Beefcake df Mr. Perfect
5. Roddy Riper fought Bad News Brown to a no contest
6. Hart Foundation df The Bolsheviks
7. The Barbarian df Tito Santana
8. Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire df Randy Savage & Queen Sherri in a Mixed Tag Team match
9. Orient Express df The Rockers by countout
10. Jim Duggan df Dino Bravo
11. Ted Di Biase df Jake Roberts by countout to retain Million Dollar Championship
12. Big Boss Man df Akeem
13. Rick Rude df Jimmy Snuka
14. Ultimate Warrior df Hulk Hogan in a Title for Title match to retain Intercontinental Championship and become new WWE Champion.
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania VI
1. Hulk Hogan’s loss in the main event against Ultimate Warrior was not only the Hulkster’s first pinfall defeat on the grandest stage, but in fact it was also his first ever pinfall loss at any WWE pay-per-view. It is one of only three WrestleMania losses for Hogan, as he also suffered defeat at WrestleMania IX and against The Rock at WrestleMania X8.
2. One year after making his WrestleMania debut, Mr. Perfect’s suffered his first televised loss in the WWE as Brutus ‘The Barber’ Beefcake brought to and end Mr. Perfect’s lengthy undefeated streak. After the match, Beefcake was instructed by Pat Patterson to give The Genius a haircut, but The Genius was not aware of the angle with his attempts to escape legitimate.
3. WrestleMania VI also featured the first time Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka competed at the showcase of immortals in a losing attempt to ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude. Snuka never won a WrestleMania match as he also fell to defeat against Undertaker at WrestleMania VII and to Chris Jericho at WrestleMania 25.
4. Demotion’s win over Colossal Connection made it the third WrestleMania in a row that Ax and Smash won the WWE Tag Team Championship at a WrestleMania. No other tag team has won the titles on more occasions at WrestleMania than Demolition. The win also made them just the second team WWE history to have three reigns as Tag Team Champions, the first being Mr. Fuji and Professor Tanaka in the 1970’s.
5. WrestleMania VI marked Andre the Giant last televised match in the WWE as the ‘Eighth Wonder of the World’ and his partner Haku lost the WWE Tag Team Championship. After the match, Andre turned on his manager Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan, ending their three-year connection.
WWE Network subscribers can relive WrestleMania IV at this link.