WrestleMania VIII was the only time the event headed to Indianapolis and in a double main event, Ric Flair defended the WWE Championship against Randy Savage and the Hulkster battled with Sid Justice.
Date: April 5, 1992
Location: Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, IN
1. Shawn Michaels df Tito Santana
2. Undertaker df Jake Roberts
3. Bret Hart df Rowdy Roddy Piper to become new Intercontinental Champion
4. Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, Virgil & Big Boss Man df The Mountie, Repo Man & Nasty Boys in a Eight-man Tag Team match
5. Randy Savage df Ric Flair to become new WWE Champion
6. Tatanka df Rick Martel
7. Natural Disasters df WWE Tag Team Champions Money Inc. by count-out
8. Owen Hart df Skinner
9. Hulk Hogan df Sid Justice by DQ
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania VIII
1. WrestleMania VIII was the only time the event was held in the state of Indiana, as over 62,000 watched on from the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis. However, it is reported that around 15,000 tickets were handed out for free to make the venue look as full as possible after only 47,000 tickets were sold. It would be the last time WrestleMania would take place in a stadium until 2001 when a trip to the Reliant Astrodome in Houston, Texas for WrestleMania X-SEVEN marked the first WrestleMania in a stadium in nine years.
2. Hulk Hogan’s seventh appearance in eight WrestleMania’s main events makes the Hulkster the record holder for most WrestleMania main events. His win over Sid Justice was the only time that the WrestleMania main event ended in DQ. However, the ending of the match did not go according to plan. Papa Shango was meant to interrupt Hogan’s pin on Sid to cause the DQ, but he missed his cue so Sid had to kick out of Hogan’s finisher and Sid’s manager Harvey Wippleman improvised to cause the DQ. Shango eventually made it to the ring, as he and Sid attacked the Hulkster until Ultimate Warrior made a surprise return after eight months away to make the save.
3.WrestleMania VIII marked the second year in a row that Shawn Michaels competed in the opening match but this was the Heartbreak Kid’s first singles match as he defeated Tito Santana. Michaels would make it three opening matches in a row at WrestleMania IX. Michaels was originally meant to face former tag team partner Marty Jannetty at the event, but plans were scrapped after Janetty was suspended for being arrested for assaulting a police officer and being in possession of drugs.
4. The event also featured Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart’s first WrestleMania singles match. Hart claimed his second Intercontinental Championship with victory against Rowdy Roddy Piper in the match of the night, which was only Piper’s third clean loss in his WWE career. It is reported that Hart and Piper met in a diner in New Brunswick a few weeks prior to WrestleMania and set out the match step-by-step. Hart decided to blade during the match in a time which this was forbidden but he managed to make it appear legit. The duo put on a show of concern and apologies over the apparently hard punch thus fooling everyone backstage, including Vince McMahon.
5. For the first time at WrestleMania, the WWE Champion did not feature in the main event. Randy Savage won his second WWE Championship by defeating WrestleMania debutant Ric Flair. The original plan was to have Flair defend the title against Hogan in the main event but those plans were scrapped after a series of un-televised matches did not live up to Vince McMahon’s expectations. While Hart got away with blading, Flair did not and was fined several thousands of dollars for doing so in his match against Savage.