We marked WrestleMania’s tenth anniversary by returning to the venue where it all began, Madison Square Garden, as a famous ladder match between Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon stole the show.
Date: March 20, 1994
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Attendance: 18, 065
1. Owen Hart df Bret Hart
2. Bam Bam Bigelow & Luna Vachon df Doink & Dink
3. Randy Savage df Crush in a Falls Count Anywhere match
4. Alundra Blayze df Leilani Kai to retain Women’s Championship
5. Yokozuna df Lex Luger by DQ to retain WWE Championship, with Mr Perfect as guest referee
6. Razor Ramon df Shawn Michaels in a Ladder match to retain Intercontinental Championship
7. Men on a Mission df WWE Tag Team Champions The Quebecers by count-out
8. Earthquake df Adam Bomb
9. Bret Hart df Yokozuna to become new WWE Champion, with Rowdy Roddy Piper as guest referee
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania X
1. After Bret Hart and Lex Luger were declared co-winners at the 1994 Royal Rumble, Yokozuna defended his WWE Championship against both men in two singles matches. Bret Hart took on Yokozuna in the WrestleMania main event for the second year running. The only other time this happened was John Cena’s battles with The Rock at WrestleMania XXVIII and XXIX. Luger was originally meant to defeat Yokozuna before losing the title to Hart in the main event but after the plans were leaked, WWE changed things up. Luger was also originally meant to leave WrestleMania X as the champion but after the ending of the Royal Rumble saw that fans were overwhelmingly in favour of The Hitman, Vince McMahon changed his mind to have Hart as champion following the showcase of immortals.
2. Yokozuna was not the only man to wrestle two matches at WrestleMania X was Bret Hart also competed twice. Before ‘The Hitman’ defeated Yokozuna in the main event to win the WWE Championship, he lost to brother Owen Hart in the opening match. 20 years later Daniel Bryan would also compete in the opening and main event match at WrestleMania XXX.
3. For the first time since the inaugural WrestleMania, a singles women’s match took place as the Women’s Championship was defended for the just the second time at the showcase of immortals. Alundra Blayze was the first woman to retain the title by defeating Leilani Kai.
4. Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon faced off in a classic encounter for the Intercontinental Championship in the first WrestleMania Ladder match. It was the first of 12 ladder matches to take place at the event, including six Money in the Bank Ladder matches. This match went longer than anticipated forcing a ten-man tag team match pitting IRS, The Headshrinkers, Jeff Jarrett and Rick Martel against Smoking Gunns, the 1-2-3 Kid, Tatanka and ‘Sparky Plugg’ Bob Holly to be cancelled.
5. WrestleMania X would mark the final WrestleMania and last televised match in the WWE for Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage. In the first-ever Falls Count Anywhere match at the showcase of immortals, Savage defeated Crush. Savage is also praised for the idea of Hart’s post-match celebrations of being hoisted up on fellow wrestler’s shoulders as the new face of WWE and it is reported that Macho Man also sounded off on Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels backstage for their match going too long denying many superstars a spot on the show.