WrestleMania XI headed to Hartford, Connecticut as Diesel defended the WWE Championship against Shawn Michaels, while Bam Bam Bigelow took on former NFL star Lawrence Taylor in the main event.
Date: April 2, 1995
Location: Hartford Civic Center
1. Lex Luger & British Bulldog df Eli & Jacob Blu
2. Razor Ramon df Intercontinental Champion Jeff Jarrett by DQ
3. Undertaker df King Kong Bundy with Larry Young as guest referee
4. Owen Hart & Yokozuna df Smokin’ Gunns to become new WWE Tag Team Champions
5. Bret Hart df Bob Backlund in an ‘I Quit’ match with Roddy Piper as guest referee
6. Diesel df Shawn Michaels to retain WWE Championship
7. Lawrence Taylor df Bam Bam Bigelow with Pat Patterson as guest referee
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XI
1. American football player Lawrence Taylor became the second celebrity to compete in a WrestleMania main event when he faced Bam Bam Bigelow. It came ten years after Mr. T teamed with Hulk Hogan in the main event of WrestleMania I. A number of celebrities have since competed at WrestleMania but only Mr. T and LT have wrestled in the main event. It is reported that Bigelow received $250,000 for putting Taylor over.
2. WrestleMania XI featured three matches with a special guest referee – the most in WrestleMania history. Rowdy Roddy Piper officiated a Bret Hart WrestleMania match for the second year in a row when he face Bob Backlund, American League umpire Larry Young refereed the King Kong Bundy vs Undertaker match and Pat Patterson refereed the main event just like he did ten years prior at WrestleMania I.
3. Bob Backlund competed in his second and last WrestleMania match as the former WWE Champion lost to Bret Hart in an ‘I Quit’ match. This was the first ever ‘I Quit’ match in the WWE and the only one to take place at WrestleMania. In Hart’s 2007 autobiography, he called the match “without a doubt my worst ppv match ever.”
4. For the first time since WrestleMania III the man who entered WrestleMania as the WWE Champion left with the belt still in tact, as Diesel defeated former tag team partner Shawn Michaels. Big Daddy Cool was just the third man to retain the WWE Championship at the event after Hulk Hogan and Yokozuna. During the match, Vince McMahon wanted Diesel to kick out of HBK’s superkick and although both men argued against that idea, it went ahead as planned. As expected the move did not go down well with the crowd and Michaels claimed that Vince later admitted it was a bad call.
5. Owen Hart won his first WWE gold at WrestleMania XI as he teamed with a returning Yokozuna to win the WWE Tag Team Championship from the Smokin’ Gunns. However, brother-in-law Jim ‘The Anvil’ Neidhart was originally meant to be Owen’s partner but Neidhart was released in January after missing a number of live events. A young Chris Benoit was once considered to be Owen’s partner after his ECW run captured the eye of WWE officials and although this did not come to fruition, Benoit did work a number of non-televised events for the company that summer.