WrestleMania 13 saw the arrival of Stone Cold Steve Austin and the beginning of the Attitude Era, as the Texas Rattlesnake battled it out with Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart in one of WrestleMania’s greatest ever matches.
Date: March 23, 1997
Location: Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL
1. The Headbangers df The Godwinns, New Blackjacks, Phil Lafon & Doug Furnas in a Fatal 4 Way Tag Team Elimination match to become No.1 Contenders
2. Rocky Maivia df The Sultan to retain Intercontinental Championship
3. Hunter Hearst Hemsley df Goldust
4. WWE Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & British Bulldog fought Mankind & Vader to a double countout
5. Bret Hart df Stone Cold in a Submission match with Ken Shamrock as guest referee
6. Ahmed Johnson & Legion of Doom df Nation of Domination in a Six-man Tag Team Chicago Street Fight
7. Undertaker df Sycho Sid in a No DQ match to become new WWE Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania 13
1. Undertaker competed in his first WrestleMania main event as he defeated Sycho Sid to win the WWE Championship. It was the only time the Deadman won the WWE title at the showcase of immortals, although he did win two World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 23 and XXIV. It was also just Sid’s second WrestleMania match, both of them being in the main event having also wrestled Hulk Hogan in the main event at WrestleMania VIII.
2. The original plan for the WrestleMania 13 main event was to have a repeat of the WrestleMania XII main event with Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, but this time Hart would walk out the winner. However, these plans went up in smoke after Shawn Michaels picked up an ‘injury’. There are claims that HBK was not really injured and that he pulled out of the match as he did not want to job to Bret Hart.
3. Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart stole the show in one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history. This match featured a double turn where Austin entered the match as the heel and Hart the babyface but by the end of the match, Stone Cold had won over the fans after a blood-masked Austin passed out to Hart’s sharpshooter. This was Hart’s 12th consecutive WrestleMania, a record that would not be broken until WrestleMania XXIX when Undertaker beat CM Punk in his 13th straight WrestleMania match.
4. The Rock made his WrestleMania debut this year as the then-called Rocky Maivia defeated The Sultan aka. Rikishi to retain the Intercontinental Championship. After the match, Rocky received a beat down from The Sultan and his managers Bob Backlund and The Iron Sheik, until The Rock’s father Rocky Johnson made the save.
5. After making his WWE debut the day after WrestleMania XII, this was Mankind’s first WrestleMania as he teamed with Vader to fight Owen Hart and British Bulldog to a double countout. JBL, then known as Justin ‘Hawk’ Bradshaw, also wrestled in his first WrestleMania as part of The New Blackjacks. WrestleMania 13 was also a first WWE appearance for UFC star Ken Shamrock, who served as special guest referee for Hart vs Austin, before going on to have a two-year stint as a WWE Superstar.