WrestleMania XIV saw Stone Cold Steve Austin defeat Shawn Michaels to win his first WWE Championship, as the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ Mike Tyson raised the Texas Rattlesnake’s hand in victory.
Date: March 29, 1998
Location: Fleet Center, Boston, MA
Attendance: 19, 028
1. Legion of Doom won a No. 1 Contenders Tag Team Battle Royal
2. Taka Michinoku df Aguila to retain WWE Light-Heavyweight Championship
3. Triple H df Owen Hart to retain European Championship
4. Marc Mero & Sable df The Artist formerly known as Goldust & Luna in a Mixed Tag Team match
5. The Rock df Ken Shamrock by DQ to retain Intercontinental Championship
6. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie df New Age Outlaws in a Dumpster match to become new WWE Tag Team Champions
7. Undertaker df Kane
8. Stone Cold df Shawn Michaels to become new WWE Champion, with Mike Tyson as guest enforcer.
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XIV
1. Mike Tyson served as the guest enforcer in the main event in the role similar to the role fellow boxing legend Muhammad Ali had at WrestleMania I. In the weeks prior, Tyson sided with DX after an altercation with Stone Cold in January 1998 but at WrestleMania, he counted the winning pinfall for Austin to win after the referee was knocked down. It was HBK’s final WrestleMania for five years due to a serious back injury sustained at the Royal Rumble. It also marked the final appearance of the winged eagle WWE title belt.
2. Owen Hart had a leg cast removed on the day of WrestleMania, after suffering a significant ankle sprain with ligament damage while stepping off the ring apron during a match in early March. His only appearance between the injury and WrestleMania was a short squash match against Triple H to drop the European Championship. He managed to produce a solid match against Triple H which marked the first time the European title was defended at WrestleMania.
3. WrestleMania XIV saw the first and only Dumpster match to take place at the event, as Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie defeated New Age Outlaws to become new WWE Tag Team Champions. However, New Age Outlaws won the titles back the next night on Raw after claiming that the wrong dumpster was used at WrestleMania. Mick Foley pitched an idea of a death match against Terry Funk, but Vince McMahon dismissed the idea as he felt such violence might be a bad look for the WWE.
4. In the Intercontinental Championship match, Ken Shamrock had originally won the title after making The Rock submit to the anklelock on his WrestleMania wrestling debut. However, after he refused to release the hold, the referee reversed the decision and awarded The Rock a DQ win to retain the gold. Earlier in the night, Rock took part in a silly sitdown interview with Gennifer Flowers and it was here that the “smell what I’m cooking” phrase was born.
5. Kane made his WrestleMania debut against his brother The Undertaker, but the Big Red Machine became the seventh victim in The Deadman’s iconic streak. Before the match, Kane delivered a tombstone to former baseball star Pete Rose in one of the most memorable moments in WrestleMania history.