WrestleMania XV took us to Philadelphia with two of WWE’s greatest stars of the Attitude Era clashing in the main event, as The Rock defended his WWE Championship against Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Date: March 28, 1999
Location: First Union Center, Philadelphia, PA
1. Hardcore Holly df Al Snow, Billy Gunn in a Triple Threat match to become new Hardcore Champion
2. Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett df D-lo Brown & Test to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
3. Butterbean df Bart Gunn in the Brawl for All with Vinny Pazienza as guest referee
4. Mankind df Big Show by DQ to become special guest referee for the main event
5. Road Dogg df Val Venis, Ken Shamrock, Goldust in a Fatal 4 Way Elimination match to retain Intercontinental Championship
6. Kane df Triple H by DQ
7. Sable df Tori to retain WWE Women’s Championship
8. Shane McMahon df X-Pac to retain European Championship
9. Undertaker df Big Boss Man in a Hell in a Cell match
10. Stone Cold df The Rock in a No DQ match to become new WWE Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XV
1. The Rock’s first WrestleMania main event ended in defeat as Stone Cold Steve Austin became the first man to win the WWE Championship at back-to-back WrestleMania’s. The two men would clash again at WrestleMania X-SEVEN which was another win for Austin but Rocky would get his win against the Texas Rattlesnake at WrestleMania XIX. Michael Cole accidentally spoiled the result earlier in the show although the remark was edited out of further releases of the event.
2. Mankind won the right to be the special guest referee in the main event with a DQ victory against WrestleMania debutant Big Show. However, due to a post-match assault by Big Show, it seemed Mick Foley would not be able to officiate the main event. Commissioner Shawn Michaels prevented Stone Cold’s nemesis Vince McMahon from declaring himself the referee and after going through three referees in the main event, Foley would return to make the deciding pinfall. Vince Russo pitched an idea for Mankind to be in the main event in a Triple Threat match along with Rock and Austin but apparently, Shawn Michaels convinced Stone Cold to reject the idea.
3. WrestleMania XV marked the first Hell in a Cell match to take place at the showcase of immortals as Undertaker went 8-0 with victory against Big Boss Man. After the match, Edge and Christian made their first WrestleMania appearance to assist the Deadman in “hanging” Big Boss Man from the Cell. The “hanging” was made possible by a hook that was attached to the noose, which hooked onto a harness Bossman was wearing under his attire. The hook actually pulled the harness up meaning there was zero pressure to Bossman’s neck.
4. WrestleMania XV featured the conclusion of the infamous ‘Brawl for All’. This was a 16-man boxing tournament in which the winner would face professional boxer Butterbean at the showcase of immortals. The tournament was won by Bart Gunn but he was knocked out in just 34 seconds by Butterbean at WrestleMania.
5. In the weeks leading up to WrestleMania, Road Dogg was involved in a Hardcore title feud with Al Snow and Hardcore Holly, while his New Age Outlaws’ partner Bill Gunn feuded with Val Venis, Goldust and Ken Shamrock for the Intercontinental Championship. However, WWE decided to shake things up having Road Dogg beat Venis to win the Intercontinental title and Gunn beat Holly for the Hardcore title the same night a couple of weeks prior to the event. Gunn was not happy with the move and felt uncomfortable with the Hardcore style.