WrestleMania X8 witnessed “Icon vs Icon” as Hulk Hogan returned to showcase of immortals for the first time in nine years to go up against The Rock in a battle between two of WWE’s greatest ever superstars.
Date: March 17, 2002
Location: Skydome, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1. Rob Van Dam df William Regal to become new Intercontinental Champion
2. Diamond Dallas Page df Christian to retain European Championship
3. Hardcore Champion Maven fought Goldust to a no contest
4. Kurt Angle df Kane
5. Undertaker df Ric Flair
6. Edge df Booker T
7. Stone Cold df Scott Hall
8. Billy & Chuck df Hardy Boys, Dudley Boys, APA in a Fatal 4 Way Elimination match to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship
9. The Rock df Hollywood Hulk Hogan
10. Jazz df Trish Stratus, Lita in a Triple Threat match to retain WWE Women’s Championship
11. Triple H df Chris Jericho to become Undisputed WWE Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania X8
1. Hulk Hogan returned to WrestleMania for the first time since WrestleMania IX as he went one-on-one with The Rock. Hogan had returned at No Way Out 2002 along with fellow NWO originals Kevin Nash and Razor Ramon but after his loss to The Rock on the grandest stage, Hall and Nash turned on Hogan forcing Rocky to make the save. During the match, Hogan and Rock changed up their planned match, due to the crowd overwhelmingly being in favour of the Hulkster.
2. After eight months out of action due to a quadriceps injury, Triple H returned to win the Royal Rumble match to book himself a WWE Championship match with Chris Jericho at WrestleMania. While Triple H has featured in ten WWE World Heavyweight Championship matches at the showcase of immortals, this marked the only time The Game won the gold at the event. WrestleMania X8 is also Jericho’s only WrestleMania main event. It was originally planned to have Triple H face a still heel Austin but plans were nixed because Stone Cold was not happy with his heel run and returned to being a babyface in December 2001. Bret Hart also turned down the chance to appear as the special guest referee for the main event.
3. Ric Flair competed in just his second WrestleMania match and his first in ten years as he went one-on-one with The Undertaker. Just like WrestleMania VIII, it ended in defeat for the Nature Boy as the Deadman went 10-0 at WrestleMania. Flair’s only victory in his five WrestleMania matches came at WrestleMania XX as he was part of the three-man Evolution team to beat Rock n’ Sock in a Handicap match.
4. WrestleMania X8 was the last time the Hardcore Championship was defended at WrestleMania and it was a wild night in Toronto as the title changed hands five times under the 24/7 rule. Maven defended the title against Goldust in a match that was only added to the card the day before the event. However, Spike Dudley ran in and pinned Maven to win the title, before The Hurricane, Mighty Molly and Christian also won the title during the night. In the end, Maven left WrestleMania how he entered it as Hardcore champion by rolling up Christian in the parking lot. A certain Brock Lesnar would make his WWE debut the night after WrestleMania X8 by crashing the Hardcore Championship match on Raw.
5. WrestleMania X8 marked first WrestleMania match for Diamond Dallas Page, but it was not DDP’s first appearance at WrestleMania. 12 years earlier, he drove Rhythm and Blues to the ring at WrestleMania VI in his very own pink Cadillac. It was also Booker T’s first WrestleMania as he took on Edge in what was originally supposed to be Hair vs Hair. However, as it was Booker who would be doing the honours, he refused to have his head shaved and the hair vs hair stipulation was kept for an Edge vs Kurt Angle feud a couple of months later.