WrestleMania XIX saw over 54,000 pack into Safeco Field in Seattle to see the conclusion of the Rock-Austin trilogy, while Kurt Angle defended the WWE Championship against Brock Lesnar in the main event.
Date: March 30, 2003
Location: Safeco Field, Seattle, WA
1. Matt Hardy df Rey Mysterio to retain Cruiserweight Championship
2. Undertaker df A-Train & Big Show in a Handicap match
3. Trish Stratus df Jazz, Victoria in a Triple Threat to become new Women’s Champion
4. Team Angle df Los Guerreros, Chris Benoit & Rhyno in a Triple Threat match to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
5. Shawn Michaels df Chris Jericho
6. Triple H df Booker T to retain World Heavyweight Championship
7. Hulk Hogan df Mr McMahon in a Street Fight
8. The Rock df Stone Cold
9. Brock Lesnar df Kurt Angle to become new WWE Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com unless stated)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XIX
1. Brock Lesnar made his WrestleMania debut as he defeated Kurt Angle in the main event to become the new WWE Champion. Lesnar is one of just two men to win the WWE title on his WrestleMania debut, with the other being Yokozuna at WrestleMania IX. John Laurinaitis suggested that Brock win the match with the shooting star press on the day of WrestleMania, a move he had not attempted since his OVW days. Lesnar successfully practiced the move that afternoon but on the night, Lesnar over rotated and was lucky to escape without a serious neck injury. Despite suffering a concussion, Lesnar managed to finish the match and F5 Angle to win the WWE Championship.
2. For the third time at WrestleMania, The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin went one-on-one on the grandest stage for the final time. After two losses to the Rattlesnake at WrestleMania XV and X-SEVEN, Rocky made it third time lucky by finally getting the win over his greatest rival. This was also Austin’s retirement match due to persistent neck injuries and had the initials OMR – “one more round” – stitched onto his vest. Stone Cold had spent the night before WrestleMania in hospital due to a dangergously increased heart rate and was only released from hospital the morning of the event.
3. Billed as 20 years in the making, Hulk Hogan battled with Mr McMahon in a Street Fight with Hogan’s career on the line. Hogan would get the win over the boss but it would actually be Hogan’s final ever WrestleMania match. During the match, Rowdy Roddy Piper made his first WrestleMania appearance in seven years in an attempt to screw Hogan.
4. Shawn Michaels returned to WrestleMania for the first time in five years to defeat Chris Jericho. Michaels return in 2002 for a SummerSlam match with Triple H was meant to be a one-off but, he would continue to work with The Game until December. At this point there were no future plans for HBK but after a in-ring segment between Michaels and Chris Jericho, Y2J pitched the idea of a match at WrestleMania. Michaels was hesitant about the idea, but Jericho managed to convince him around. The showstopper would go onto compete in another seven WrestleMania’s.
5. Rey Mysterio made his WrestleMania debut but it ended in a losing effort to Matt Hardy, in what was the first ever Cruiserweight Championship match at the showcase of immortals. This was Matt Hardy’s first WrestleMania victory after three previous losses at the showcase of immortals. Matt Hardy’s only other win at WrestleMania came against brother Jeff at WrestleMania 25. His brother Jeff is still yet to pick up a win at WrestleMania.