WrestleMania XX marked a return to where it all began, Madison Square Garden, as we saw the return of The Undertaker to face his brother Kane and Eddie Guerrero battled with Kurt Angle for the WWE Championship.
Date: March 14, 2004
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
1. John Cena df Big Show to become new United States Champion
2. Booker T & Rob Van Dam df Dudley Boys, La Resistance, Mark Jindrak & Garrison Cade in a Fatal 4 Way to retain World Tag Team Championship
3. Christian df Chris Jericho
4. Evolution df Rock ‘n’ Sock in a 3-on-2 Handicap match
5. Sable & Torrie Wilson df Stacy Keibler & Miss Jackie in a Playboy Evening Gown Tag Team match
6. Chavo Guerrero won the Cruiserweight Open to retain Cruiserweight Championship
7. Goldberg df Brock Lesnar with Stone Cold as guest referee
8. Scotty 2 Hotty & Rikishi df APA, Basham Brothers, World’s Greatest Tag Team in a Fatal 4 Way to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
9. Victoria df Molly Holly to retain Women’s Championship in a Title vs Hair match
10. Eddie Guerrero df Kurt Angle to retain WWE Championship
11. Undertaker df Kane
12. Chris Benoit df Triple H, Shawn Michaels in a Triple Threat match to become new World Heavyweight Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XX
1. WrestleMania XX marked the first Triple Threat main event at the showcase of immortals as Chris Benoit defeated Triple H and Shawn Michaels to become the new World Heavyweight Champion. It was the first time the World Heavyweight Championship was defended in the main event of WrestleMania and the first of seven times this title changed hands at the event. It was also the first WrestleMania main event to end in a submission as Triple H submitted to Benoit’s crossface. It was the first of five times that the WrestleMania main event would end in a submission.
2. Former WCW star Goldberg made his first WrestleMania appearance at WrestleMania XX as he defeated Brock Lesnar. It was common knowledge that both men were leaving the company after WrestleMania and so the fans let them know exactly how they felt. Guest referee Stone Cold Steve Austin gave fans something to cheer when he delivered a stunner to both Lesnar and Goldberg. It was originally suggested that Lesnar beat Goldberg in 30 seconds, after Lesnar was unhappy at having to drop the WWE title to Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out. Lesnar nearly walked out a few weeks before the show without notice after returning from a tour of South Africa, but was convinced by future wife Sable to meet with Vince McMahon two weeks before the event, in which agreed to stay until WrestleMania thanks to a big pay cheque.
3. Four months after being buried alive by his brother Kane at Survivor Series 2003, The Undertaker returned at WrestleMania to defeat his brother. After over three-years of the ‘American Bad Ass’, Undertaker returned to his former Deadman character and brought his old manager Paul Bearer back with him as he went 12-0 at WrestleMania.
4. WrestleMania XX marked the WrestleMania debuts of Randy Orton, Batista and John Cena. Orton and Batista teamed with Ric Flair as the faction Evolution to defeat The Rock and Mick Foley in a 3-on-2 Handicap match, which marked The Nature Boy’s only victory on the grandest stage. Cena toppled Big Show to claim the United States Championship, his first singles title in the WWE. It was the first time the United States title was defended at the showcase of immortals.
5. In a bid to get on the WrestleMania card, Molly Holly willingly decided to have her head shaved in a Hair vs Title match against Victoria for the Women’s Championship. Holly was not happy that there was no planned Women’s Championship match for the event and successfully pitched her idea to have her head shaved to creative. In the Evening gown Tag Team match, Sable became the first woman to win at three WrestleMania’s. Only Trish Stratus has since matched this record, but while Stratus also has a number of losses at the showcase of immortals, Sable has a perfect 3-0 record.