WrestleMania 22 saw the ultimate underdog Rey Mysterio look to defy the odds once again, as the 2006 Royal Rumble winner looked to claim the World Heavyweight Championship in Chicago.
Date: April 2, 2006
Location: Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
1. Big Show & Kane df Carlito & Chris Masters to retain World Tag Team Championship
2. Rob Van Dam df Ric Flair, Finlay, Shelton Benjamin, Bobby Lashley, Matt Hardy in the Money in the Bank Ladder match
3. JBL df Chris Benoit to become new United States Champion
4. Edge df Mick Foley in a Hardcore match
5. The Boogeyman df Booker T & Sharmell in a Handicap match
6. Mickie James df Trish Stratus to become new Women’s Champion
7. Undertaker df Mark Henry
8. Shawn Michaels df Mr McMahon in a Street Fight
9. Rey Mysterio df Kurt Angle, Randy Orton in a Triple Threat match to become new World Heavyweight Champion
10. Torrie Wilson df Candice Michelle in a Playboy Pillow fight
11. John Cena df Triple H to retain WWE Championship
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania 22
1. John Cena competed in his first WrestleMania main event as he successfully retained the WWE Championship against Triple H. It was the first of five WrestleMania main events for the leader of the Cenation and his second straight WWE title match at the showcase of immortals. Cena’s win over Triple H marked the first time in six years that a new champion was not crowned in the main event.
2. After winning the 2006 Royal Rumble with a record-breaking time, Rey Mysterio once again overcame the odds to win his first World Heavyweight Championship in a Triple Threat match against Kurt Angle and Randy Orton dedicating his victory to former friend Eddie Guerrero, who died suddenly the previous November. Agents and writers had to plead with Vince McMahon to put the title on Mysterio, as the chairman felt Mysterio was too small to be champion, but he eventually relented and allowed Mysterio his WrestleMania moment. Batista was originally meant to face Orton for the World title but the Animal suffered a triceps injury in January. Original plans for Angle was to possibly end Undertaker’s streak, while Eddie Guerrero would have faced Shawn Michaels.
3. Despite making his WrestleMania debut in 1999, WrestleMania 22 marked a first win for Big Show at the showcase of immortals as the 500 pounder and Kane retained the World Tag Team Championship against Carlito and Chris Masters. However it was Kane who scored the pinfall after a chokeslam to Carlito. It would not be until WrestleMania 26 that Big Show finally scored a pinfall victory of his own pinning John Morrison as Show and The Miz retained the Tag Team titles against Morrison and R-Truth.
4. WrestleMania 22 marked the final WrestleMania match for Mick Foley, who lost to Edge in a Hardcore match. The Rated-R Superstar won the match after spearing Foley through a burning table. It was Edge who pitched the idea of the flaming table in a bid to have a WrestleMania moment as he felt he deserved to main event WrestleMania 22 and wanted to do something fans would remember.
5. WrestleMania 22 took place in the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena in Chicago, which along with Madison Square Garden has hosted the most WrestleMania’s on three different occasions with WrestleMania 2 and 13 the other times the event was held in Chicago. This also marked the final time WrestleMania would take place in an arena, with every WrestleMania since taking place in a stadium.