To celebrate the 25th anniversary of WrestleMania, we saw Triple H defend his WWE Championship against Randy Orton in the main event, but it was the clash between The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels that stole the show.
Date: April 5, 2009
Location: Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX
1. CM Punk df Mark Henry, Kane, MVP, Kofi Kingston, Christian, Shelton Benjamin, Finlay in the Money in the Bank Ladder match
2. ‘Santina’ Marella won the Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal
3. Chris Jericho df Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper & Jimmy Snuka in a 3-on-1 Handicap Elimination match
4. Matt Hardy df Jeff Hardy in an Extreme Rules match
5. Rey Mysterio df JBL to become new Intercontinental Champion
6. Undertaker df Shawn Michaels
7. John Cena df Edge, Big Show in a Triple Threat match to become new World Heavyweight Champion
8. Triple H df Randy Orton to retain WWE Championship
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania 25
1. Triple H picked up his first WrestleMania win in six years as he defeated former Evolution teammate Randy Orton in the main event to retain the WWE Championship. This was The Game’s sixth main event and Triple H would tie Hulk Hogan’s record of competing in seven WrestleMania main events when he faced Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 32. It was also the second in a row Orton and Triple H faced off at the showcase of immortals as they also battled it for the WWE Championship along with John Cena at WrestleMania XXIV.
2. After suffering his first WrestleMania loss the year prior, John Cena got back to winning ways as he defeated Big Show and Edge to capture a second World Heavyweight Championship. It was Cena’s sixth consecutive title match at the showcase of immortals but this was his first and only World Heavyweight Championship match at WrestleMania.
3. For the first time since WrestleMania X8, the Intercontinental Championship was defended at WrestleMania when Rey Mysterio defeated JBL in 21 seconds to win his first Intercontinental title. This was JBL’s final match in the WWE as he ‘quit’ the WWE after losing the title. Carlito and Primo also became the Unified Tag Team Champions defeating John Morrison and The Miz but this match was bumped on an un-televised pre show to give Kid Rock more time for his musical performance.
4. Chris Jericho overcame the odds when he defeated three legends Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat and Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka in a 3-on-1 elimination handicap match. The Wrestler star Mickey Rourke had agreed to fight Jericho at WrestleMania but backed out after his manager convinced him that a match could damage his A-Lister status. The Academy Award winner still turned up in the crowd at WrestleMania and after Jericho called him into the ring, he levelled Y2J with a right hand.
5. After costing his brother Jeff the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble, Matt Hardy defeated Jeff to pick up just his second WrestleMania victory in an Extreme Rules match. It was Jeff’s first WrestleMania in two years after he missed WrestleMania XXIV for failing a drugs test where he was originally meant to win the Money in the Bank Ladder match. However a loss to Matt in at WrestleMania 25, left him with a 0-5 record at the show of shows.