WrestleMania XXVI witnessed the end of an era as Mr WrestleMania Shawn Michaels’ career would come to a close on the grandest stage, as he fell short on his second attempt to break The Undertaker’s streak.
Date: March 28, 2010
Location: University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
1. The Miz & Big Show df John Morrison & R-Truth to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
2. Randy Orton df Cody Rhodes, Ted Di Biase in a Triple Threat match
3. Jack Swagger df Kane, Shelton Benjamin, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, MVP, Christian, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne, Matt Hardy in the Money in the Bank Ladder match
4. Triple H df Sheamus
5. Rey Mysterio df CM Punk
6. Bret Hart df Mr McMahon in a No Holds Barred match
7. Chris Jericho df Edge to retain World Heavyweight Championship
8. Michelle McCool, Layla, Alicia Fox, Maryse & Vickie Guerrero df Beth Phoenix, Eve, Mickie James, Kelly Kelly & Gail Kim in a 10 Diva Tag Team match
9. John Cena df Batista to become new WWE Champion
10. Undertaker df Shawn Michaels in a ‘Streak vs Career’ match
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XXVI
1. Shawn Michaels would compete in his final WWE match in the state where he was born as he failed to defeat The Undertaker for the second year running with the Heartbreak Kid’s career was on the line. This was also just the fourth time that the main event did not feature a WWE or World Championship match, with WrestleMania I, VIII and XI also not closing with a championship match.
2. For the first time in 13 years, Bret Hart returned to WrestleMania for one final match against the man who screwed him at the 1997 Survivor Series, Vince Mc Mahon. The chairman once again tried to screw Bret with the help of the Hart Family but his plan backfired as Bret and his family came together to take down the boss. This was also McMahon’s final WrestleMania match, closing with a 0-4 record.
3. For the first time since WrestleMania 21, a new WWE Champion was crowned as John Cena defeated Batista to claim a world title for the second year running. Only Hulk Hogan, Undertaker and Stone Cold have also won two world titles at back-to-back WrestleMania’s. WrestleMania XXVI also saw Cena match the record set by Hulk Hogan by competing in six world title matches at the showcase of immortals, but he would break the record a year later when he faced WWE Champion The Miz at WrestleMania XXVII.
4. While WrestleMania XXVI saw a new WWE Champion crowned for the first time in five years, it was also the first time in six years that the World Heavyweight Championship did not change hands. In only his second world title match at WrestleMania and first in eight years, Chris Jericho defeated Edge to retain the gold. It was also a third straight World Championship defeat for Edge at the showcase of immortals. The match was planned nine months with Jericho and Edge winning the Tag Team Championship at The Bash 2009 that would lead to a fight at WrestleMania after a breakdown in their partnership. Edge would rupture his Achilles tendon just five days later at a live event to put the plans in doubt, but he managed to recover in time to win the Royal Rumble and face world champion Jericho at WrestleMania.
5. Triple H competed in his first non-title match at WrestleMania in nine years as he defeated WrestleMania debutant Sheamus. Triple H’s last seven WrestleManias were for the world title with his clash against The Undertaker at WrestleMania X-SEVEN his last non-tile match at the showcase of immortals. His next world title match at the event would not be for another six years when he defended the WWE Championship against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 32.