For the first time in seven years, The Rock returned to the grandest stage to host WrestleMania XXVII on a night that saw John Cena look to become WWE Champion once again against The Miz.
Date: April 3, 2011
Location: Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA
1. Edge df Alberto Del Rio to retain World Heavyweight Championship
2. Cody Rhodes df Rey Mysterio
3. Big Show, Kane, Kofi Kingston & Santino Marella df The Corre in an Eight-man Tag Team match
4. Randy Orton df CM Punk
5. Michael Cole df Jerry Lawler by DQ with Stone Cold as guest referee
6. Undertaker df Triple H in a No Holds Barred match
7. John Morrison, Trish Stratus & Snooki df Dolph Ziggler, Michelle McCool & Layla in a Six person Tag Team match
8. The Miz df John Cena in a No DQ match to retain WWE Championship
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XXVII
2. For the first time since WrestleMania XX, The Rock returned to host WrestleMania XXVII and had a big role to play in the John Cena vs The Miz main event. The match originally ended a double countout when Cena speared Miz over the barricade, a spot that saw Miz suffer a legit concussion. However, host Rocky would not allow the WrestleMania main event to end like that and demanded the match be restarted before he Rock Bottomed Cena to cost him the match allowing The Miz retain the WWE Championship. It was just the second time a heel walked out of the main event with the title and the only WrestleMania, where a single title did not change hands.
2. After a run of three consecutive World Championship losses at WrestleMania, Edge won his first WrestleMania match in five years as he defeated WrestleMania debutant Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. It was the fourth year in a row that the Royal Rumble winner failed to win the title at WrestleMania. It would also prove to be Edge’s final WWE match as he would be forced to retire due to a serious neck and spinal injury just a week later.
3. Despite making his debut in 1992, Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler stepped into a WrestleMania ring for the first time to face fellow commentator Michael Cole in one of the worst matches in WrestleMania history. Dean Malenko received much backstage heat for his booking of the mtch that saw Lawler originally win the match, but the anonymous Raw general manager reversed the decision due to impartial refereeing by Stone Cold Steve Austin and awarded a DQ win to Michael Cole. This was Austin’s third time to referee a WrestleMania match having also refereed at WrestleMania XX and 23.
4. Trish Stratus returned to WrestleMania for the first time in five years as she teamed with John Morrison and Jersey Shore star Snooki to defeat Dolph Ziggler and Laycool in a six-person Tag Team match. However, Trish’s involvement in the match caused tension between Stratus and real-life couple Morrison and Melina, with Melina claiming she was originally meant to take part in the match instead of Trish.
5. After watching Undertaker retire his best friend Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania XXVII, Triple H attempted to break the Deadman’s streak but for the second time at WrestleMania, The Game fell to defeat to Undertaker in a match that was originally meant to main event WrestleMania XXVII. However, the match took its toll on the Deadman and he needed to be carried to the back on a stretcher, but he would return to take on Triple H one last time at WrestleMania XXVIII inside Hell in a Cell. WWE originally wanted Brock Lesnar to take on Undertaker at the event but Lesnar’s UFC contract obligations ruled out the idea. It was also pitched for Sting to take on the Deadman, but the former WCW champion rejected their offer.