WrestleMania XXVIII gave us ‘Once in a Lifetime’ as The Rock battled John Cena in the main event, while Triple H and Undertaker faced off in the ‘End of an Era’ Hell in a Cell match.
Date: April 1, 2012
Location: SunLife Stadium, Miami, FL
1. Sheamus df Daniel Bryan to become new World Heavyweight Champion
2. Kane df Randy Orton
3. Big Show df Cody Rhodes to become new Intercontinental Champion
4. Kelly Kelly & Maria Menounos df Beth Phoenix & Eve Torres in a Tag Team match
5. Undertaker df Triple H in a Hell in a Cell match, with Shawn Michaels as special guest referee
6. Team John Laurinaitis (David Otunga, Mark Henry, The Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger & Drew McIntyre) df Team Teddy Long (Santino Marella, Booker T, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, The Great Khali & Zack Ryder) in a 12-man Tag Team match to become general manager of both Raw and Smackdown
7. CM Punk df Chris Jericho to retain WWE Championship
8. The Rock df John Cena
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XXVIII
1. For the first time since WrestleMania XX, The Rock wrestled at the showcase of immortals as the Great One defeated John Cena in the main event after a year build-up that saw Rocky cost Cena the WWE Championship at WrestleMania XXVII. This marked the first time The Rock won in the main event of WrestleMania, after three previous losses in main events at the show of shows. Despite it being billed as ‘Once in a Lifetime’, there were plans in place before WrestleMania XXVIII to have the two face off again in a rematch at WrestleMania XXIX. This was also Cena’s first WrestleMania match that was not for a title and the fifth main event not to feature a world title match.
2. WrestleMania XXVIII witnessed the ‘End of an Era’ as Undertaker defeated Triple H inside Hell in a Cell to go 20-0 at WrestleMania. Despite the role of Triple H’s best friend and the man the Deadman retired Shawn Michaels serving as the special guest referee, Undertaker got the job done and defeated The Game for the third time at the showcase of immortals. This was also just the second of three Hell in a Cell matches to take place at WrestleMania and the first since WrestleMania XV.
3. For the second year in a row, the World Heavyweight Championship match opened the showcase of immortals. Sheamus defeated WrestleMania debutant Daniel Bryan in just 18 seconds to become the first Royal Rumble winner in five years to win the title at WrestleMania. It is also the third shortest WrestleMania match on record, following The Rock’s six-second win over Erick Rowan at WrestleMania 32 and Kane’s win over Chavo Guerrero at WrestleMania XXIV. After having their United States Championship match bumped to the preshow the year prior, Sheamus and Bryan were not happy with the booking. Fans also did not react well to Bryan’s quick loss and chanted his name throughout the following Kane vs Randy Orton match. WrestleMania XXVIII is also where the YES! chant began.
4. CM Punk defeated Chris Jericho to retain the WWE Championship in the Straight Edge superstar’s only championship match at the showcase of immortals. It was also just Jericho’s third major title match at WrestleMania and just like his other WWE Championship against Triple H at WrestleMania X8, it ended in defeat. His only world title match victory came two years prior at WrestleMania XXVI. Jericho wanted to tattoo his initials on Punk to which the champion was on board with to further ignite their rivalry, but Vince McMahon rejected the idea as he did not want Punk bleeding on television.
5. Despite making his debut in 1999, Big Show won the Intercontinental Championship for the first time in his career as he defeated Cody Rhodes. It was also just the World Largest Athlete’s fourth win in 12 WrestleMania’s and his first championship win at the showcase of immortals, after three previous failed attempts to win gold. He retained the Tag Team titles twice, with Kane at WrestleMania 22 and with The Miz at WrestleMania XXVI. Big Show was pitched to face Shaq at the event and just like other times the two were rumoured to face off at a WrestleMania, the match never happened.