Twice in a Lifetime? For the second year in a row, The Rock and John Cena clashed in the main event of WrestleMania XXIX, as Cena looked for redemption against the People’s Champion.
Date: April 7, 2013
Location: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
1. The Shield df Randy Orton, Sheamus & Big Show in a Six-man Tag Team match
2. Mark Henry df Ryback
3. Team Hell No! df Dolph Ziggler & Big E Langston to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
4. Fandango df Chris Jericho
5. Alberto Del Rio df Jack Swagger to retain World Heavyweight Championship
6. The Undertaker df CM Punk
7. Triple H df Brock Lesnar in a No Holds Barred match with Triple H’s career on the line
8. John Cena df The Rock to become new WWE Champion.
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania XXIX
1. After suffering defeat to The Rock the year prior at WrestleMania XVIII, John Cena got his redemption over the Great One and became the new WWE Champion. This was Cena’s record-breaking seventh WWE title match at WrestleMania surpassing Hulk Hogan’s previous record of six. Cena also broke the record for the most WWE title wins at the showcase of immortals breaking Austin and Hogan’s record by winning the title for the fourth time at WrestleMania. In a 2016 interview, The Rock claimed the match was originally meant to be a Triple Threat match with CM Punk added into the mix.
2. For the first time in nine years, Brock Lesnar returned to WrestleMania but the Beast would lose just like he did at WrestleMania XX, when Triple H defeated Lesnar in a Street Fight. After suffering a “broken arm” and a loss to Lesnar at the previous SummerSlam, Triple H got revenge on the Beast on the grandest stage in a match that if The Game lost, he would have retired.
3. Despite making his debut back in 1996, Mark Henry competed in just his second singles match at WrestleMania as the World’s Strongest man defeated WrestleMania debutant Ryback for his first singles win at WrestleMania. His only prior one-on-one match came at WrestleMania 22 when he fell to defeat against The Undertaker in a Casket match.
4. The Shield made their WrestleMania debut as the trio of Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins defeated Big Show, Sheamus and Randy Orton in six-man Tag Team action, as the World’s Largest Athlete Big Show turned on his team. The Shield would make it two wins out of two at WrestleMania XXX before going their separate ways. Reigns, Rollins and Ambrose all then suffered their first defeat on the grandest stage as singles competitors at WrestleMania 31..
5. Daniel Bryan and Kane defeated Dolph Ziggler and WrestleMania debutant Big E Langston in the first WWE Tag Team Championship match at WrestleMania in three years. After losing the World title in just 18 seconds at WrestleMania XXVIII, a victory for Bryan at WrestleMania XXIX marked the first of three consecutive title match wins for the YES! man at WrestleMania. It was also the second of four straight title matches for Bryan at the showcase of immortals, each being for a different title. Along with Big E, WrestleMania XXIX also marked Fandango’s first televised match in the WWE as he picked up a surprise debut win over Chris Jericho.