WrestleMania 31 took place under the bright sky of Santa Clara, California as Roman Reigns looked to win his first WWE Championship against Brock Lesnar, while Sting made his WrestleMania debut against Triple H.
Date: March 29, 2015
Location: Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
Attendance: 76, 976
1. Daniel Bryan df Bad New Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, R-Truth, Luke Harper, Dean Ambrose, Stardust in a Ladder match to become new Intercontinental Champion
2. Randy Orton df Seth Rollins
3. Triple H df Sting in a No DQ match
4. AJ Lee & Paige df Bella Twins in a Tag Team match
5. John Cena df Rusev to become new United States Champion
6. Undertaker df Bray Wyatt
7. Seth Rollins df Brock Lesnar, Roman Reigns in a Triple Threat match to become new WWE World Heavyweight Champion
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania 31
1. Brock Lesnar defended his WWE Championship against Roman Reigns in the main event but neither man would leave Santa Clara with the gold. That is because Mr Money in the Bank Seth Rollins became the first man ever to cash in the briefcase at the showcase of immortals, turning the match into a Triple Threat and curb stomped former Shield brother Reigns to win his first WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Reigns was originally meant to win the title but Reigns’ negative crowd reaction forced them changed things upnd went with the finish of Rollins cashing in the Money in the Bank. The main event as meant to go ten minutes longer but The Rock’s segment went too long meaning the match had to be cut short.
2. Former WCW champion Sting wrestled his first and only match at WrestleMania as he took on Triple H in a No DQ match. During the match, Triple H’s DX buddies – Shawn Michaels, X-Pac and New Age Outlaws ran out to help The Game but the NWO – Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall – came to the aid of the Icon. In the end, Triple H hit Sting with a sledgehammer for the win. Triple H was originally meant to face Batista, but he pulled out after the success of Guardians of the Galaxy and wanted to focus on his movie career.
3. John Cena won his second United States Championship at WrestleMania as he ended the undefeated streak of Rusev to claim the gold. It was the first US title match at WrestleMania in eight years. This was Cena’s tenth title match the showcase of immortals but his first United States title match since WrestleMania XX. Cena holds the record alongside Triple H for the most title matches at WrestleMania with ten title matches each.
4. The Rock would make an appearance at WrestleMania 31 as he confronted Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. Rocky would gain the help of UFC star Ronda Rousey to assist him in taking out the Authority. The Rock had convinced UFC boss Dana White to allow Rousey appear at the event. This promo was meant to build to a potential Rock and Rousey vs Triple H and Stephanie McMahon match at WrestleMania 32 but due to contractual issues with Rousey and Rocky, these plans were scrapped.
5. WrestleMania 31 took place at the Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara as California hosted the showcase of immortals for the sixth time with the other times being at WrestleMania II, VII, XII, 2000 and 21. No other state has held more WrestleMania’s than California.