UCL Recap: Dortmund beat Legia Warsaw in 12 goal thriller, Monaco dump out Tottenham

Records were broken at the Westfalenstadion on Tuesday night as Borussia Dortmund overcame Legia Warsaw in an 8-4 thriller to set a new record for the most goals scored in a Champions League game.

Aleksandar Prijovic gave the away side a shock lead after just ten minutes as the turned in from close range but the floodgates began to open when Shinji Kagawa pulled one back for Dortmund on 17 minutes heading home Ousmane Dembele’s cross.

Marco Reus returned from injury to score a hat-trick in the record breaking win image: bundesliga.com

Marco Reus returned from injury to score a hat-trick in the record-breaking win
image: bundesliga.com

Less than a minute later Dortmund were in front as Dembele and Kagawa linked up again with a calm finish from the former Man United player and it was 3-1 on 20 minutes as Nuri Sahin capitalised on a mistake from goalkeeper Radosław Cierzniak.

Prijovic scored again four minutes later to make it 3-2 with a low strike from inside the box but Demeble restored Dortmund’s two goal advantage on the half hour mark with his low strike crept past the gloves of Cierzniak.

Marco Reus joined in on the goalscoring spree as he side footed in from close range on his first appearance after six months out injured as the home side went into half-time 5-2 in front.

Reus grabbed his second of the game and Dortmund’s sixth seven minutes into the second half as he pounced on the end of Dembele’s cross, before Michal Kucharczyk grabbed Legia’s third of the game from close range just before the hour mark

18-year-old Felix Passlack scored the tenth goal of the game as his header made it 7-3 after a brilliant run from Christian Pulisic after 24 minutes passed without a goal.

Nemanja Nikolic added a fourth for the Polish side on 83 minutes with a low strike in at off the far post, before Marco Reus rolled the ball into the far corner in injury time to complete his hat-trick and score a record 12th goal in a single Champions League game.

It was not quite as much a classic in the other group F game as holders Real Madrid assured in place in the knockout stages after a hard-fought 2-1 win over 10-man Sporting Lisbon.

Raphael Varane put the Spanish side in front on the half hour mark as he fired home after Sporting failed to deal with Luka Modric’s free kick and it got worse for the home side when Joao Pereira was controversially sent off for an off the ball incident with Mateo Kovacic.

However, Jorge Jesus’ side  were rewarded a penalty ten minutes from time which Adrien Silva made no mistake in smashing the ball home to make it 1-1 win but Real Madrid grabbed a late winner through Karim Benzema’s header as Real left it late against Sporting yet again.

Leicester‘s remarkable story continued as the Premier League champions maintained their unbeaten streak with a 2-1 win over Club Brugge to book their place in the last 16.

It took just five minutes for Shinji Okazaki to put the Foxes in front as the poked home from a Christian Fuchs cross and Riyad Mahrez made it 2-0 from the penalty spot on the half hour mark after Marc Albrighton was brought down in the area.

Jose Izquierdo’s 52nd strike saw Leicester concede for the first time in the Champions League with the Colombian finishing a brilliant run with an angled strike squeezed in at the near post but the Foxes held on for all three points to seal top spot in group G.

FC Copenhagen kept their unbeaten record still in tact in the other group E game as they held Porto to a point in a second consecutive scoreless draw in the Champions League to leave second place still up for grabs.

Ten-man Man City came from behind to earn a 1-1 draw with German side Borussia Monchengladbach which proved enough for Pep Guardiola’s side to seal their spot in the knockout stages.

Andre Schubert’s side took the lead on 23 minutes when Raffael got on the end of Lars Stindl’s cross and powered home from 15 yards, but Man City did grab an equaliser just before half-time as David Silva slid in Kevin De Bruyne’s cross at the near post.

David Silva equalises for Man City just before half time image: itv.com

David Silva equalises for Man City just before half-time
image: itv.com

Man City gained an advantage in their hunt for a winner when Lars Stindl was sent off for the home side, but after they themselves went down to ten man when Fernandinho saw red, they saw them out to keep hold of a valuable point.

However that point also means that Man City will have to settle for second spot in group C behind Barcelona, who ended Celtic‘s Champions League hopes with a 2-0 victory at Celtic Park.

Lionel Messi put Luis Enrique’s side in front on 24 minutes as he pounced on the end of Neymar’s clever pass to beat Craig Gordon at his near post and he added a second from the penalty spot to ensure top spot in group C belonged to the Catalans.

Leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s