UCL Recap: Leicester stun Sevilla to reach quarter-finals, Monaco dump out Man City

Premier League champions Leicester are through to the quarter-finals of the Champions League, as the Foxes stunned Spanish side Sevilla 2-0 at the King Power Stadium.

After Jamie Vardy grabbed an away goal in a 2-1 defeat in the first leg, Leicester needed just one goal to go through and they grabbed it just before the half-hour mark, when Wes Morgan bundled home at the back post from a Riyad Mahrez free-kick.

Leicester are the only English side through to the quarter-finals
image: dailymail.co.uk

Marc Albrighton’s second Champions League goal doubled the home side’s advantage on 54 minutes, when the winger’s left-footed strike from the edge of the area beat goalkeeper Sergio Rico at his near post.

Jorge Sampaoli’s side needed a goal to force extra time, but their night got a lot worse when on-loan winger Samir Nasri was sent off after earning a second yellow card for a headbutt on Jamie Vardy with 15 minutes to play.

Sevilla were awarded a penalty on 79 minutes when Leicester goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel brought down Vitolo, but the Denmark international made up for his mistake to save Steven N’Zonzi’s poor spot kick.

Leicester held on for a 3-2 aggregate win over the three-in-a-row Europa League champions and despite their woes in the Premier League, the Foxes incredible Champions League run continues.

Man City will not be joining their fellow Premier League side in the quarter-finals, as French side Monaco overturned a two-goal deficit from the first leg to seal their spot in the last eight with a 3-1 victory.

18-year-old striker Kylian M’Bappe fired the home side in front after just eight minutes, as he turned in Bernardo Silva’s cross between the legs of Man City goalkeeper Willy Caballero at the near post.

Fabinho doubled Monaco’s lead on the half-hour mark to put Leonardo Jardim’s side in front of the tie, as the right-back found himself inside the box to turn home Benjamin Mendy’s cross from close range.

Man City began to create more chances in the second half and were rewarded on 71 minutes when Leroy Sane smashed the ball into the roof of the net, after goalkeeper Danijel Subasic spilled Raheem Sterling’s effort into the path of the German.

However, Tiemoue Bakayoko restored Monaco’s two-goal cushion six minutes later when he headed home in at the far post from Lemar’s free-kick to seal Monaco’s place in the quarter-finals for the second time in three seasons.

With the tie locked at 6-6 on aggregate, those three away goals conceded in the first leg proved costly for Pep Guardiola’s side as the Ligue 1 leaders went through on the away goals rule.

Atletico Madrid remain on course to win their first Champions League trophy, as the La Liga side had goalkeeper Jan Oblak to thank to deny Bayer Leverkusen in a 0-0 draw at the Vicente Calderon.

Tayfun Korkut’s side had their chances to take the lead in the Spanish capital with an early Kevin Volland shot drifting wide of the post, while Julian Brandt excellently set up Javier Hernandez, only for the former Man United striker to blast the ball well over the bar.

Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno was called into action later in the first half as he excellently denied both Koke and Angel Correa to prevent Atletico going further ahead in the tie.

Atletico goalkeeper Oblak pulled off three amazing saves in a row in the 68 minute, as the Slovenian excellently saved from Brandt and a double effort by Karim Bellarabi, before Hernandez fired wide.

Oblak was once again called into action in the dying minutes as he superbly denied Leon Bailey’s long-range effort, before fisting away a Kevin Kampl strike, as Atletico’s 4-2 triumph in Germany three weeks ago was enough to see Diego Simone’s side into the last eight.

Juventus last won the Champions League in 1996
image: thesun.co.uk

There was to be no famous comeback for 2004 Champions League winners Porto, as Italian champions Juventus edged to a 1-0 victory over the Portuguese side to reach the quarter-finals for third time in seven seasons.

Just like the first leg, Nuno Espirito Santo’s side were reduced to ten men just before half-time, as Maxi Pereira was handed a straight red card for blocking Gonzalo Higuain’s shot with his hand to also give away a penalty.

Paulo Dybala made no mistake from the penalty spot to give Juventus the lead after 42 minutes, as he tucked his spot kick into the bottom corner sending Porto goalkeeper Iker Casillas the wrong way.

Marko Pjaca drifted an angled shot wide and Higuain’s placed a low strike the wrong side of the post in a bid to extend Juventus lead, but it was still all to comfortable for the Serie A leaders, who advance with a 3-0 aggregate win.

Leave a comment

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.