WrestleMania was the “Ultimate Thrill Ride” that saw five new champions crowned, a marriage proposal and The Undertaker suffer his second WrestleMania defeat against Roman Reigns.
Date: April 2, 2017
Location: Camping World Stadium, Orlando, FL
Attendance: 75, 245
1. AJ Styles df Shane McMahon
2. Kevin Owens df Chris Jericho to become new United States Champion
3. Bayley df Charlotte Flair, Sasha Banks, Nia Jax in a Fatal 4 Way Elimination match to retain Raw Women’s Championship
4. Hardy Boyz df Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows, Enzo and Cass, Cesaro and Sheamus in a Fatal 4 Way Ladder match to become the new Raw Tag Team Champions
5. John Cena and Nikki Bella df The Miz and Maryse in a Mixed Tag Team match
6. Seth Rollins df Triple H in a Non-Sanctioned match
7. Randy Orton df Bray Wyatt to become new WWE Champion
8. Brock Lesnar df Goldberg to become new WWE Universal Champion
9. Naomi df Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Natalya, Mickie James, Carmella in a Six-Pack Challenge to become new Smackdown Women’s Champion
10. Roman Reigns df The Undertaker in a No Holds Barred match
Gallery (all images credited to wwe.com)
5 Facts about WrestleMania 33
1. For the first time since WrestleMania XXIX, two world championships were defended as the Universal Championship was on the line for the first time at a WrestleMania. Brock Lesnar defeated Goldberg in their second WrestleMania encounter to win the Universal title, while Randy Orton won his 13th WWE World Championship at his 13th WrestleMania by defeating former ally Bray Wyatt. It was only the second time both world titles changed hands at the showcase of immortals, with WrestleMania 21 being the only other time two new world champions were crowned at the event.
2. Roman Reigns headlined WrestleMania for the third consecutive year becoming the fifth man to do so, following Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Triple H and John Cena in achieving this feat. In the main event, Reigns defeated Undertaker in a No Holds Barred match to hand the Deadman just his second defeat at WrestleMania. It was just the sixth time that the main event did not feature a world championship match. After his loss, Undertaker laid his gloves, coat and hat in the middle of the ring appearing to signal his retirement after over 26 years with the company. It was originally meant to be Undertaker v John Cena at the event, but Vince McMahon scrapped the plans as he felt it did not build for the future. However, despite what would have been a fitting end, it looks like Undertaker is not done yet and we will get the much-anticipated Undertaker vs Cena match at WrestleMania 34.
3. For the first time in seven years, The Hardy Boys returned to WrestleMania as they defeated Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows, Cesaro & Sheamus and Enzo & Cass in a Fatal 4 Way Ladder match to become the new Raw Tag Team Champions. It was the first time since TLC II,, which The Hardys competed in at WrestleMania X-SEVEN that a Tag Team Championship changed hands on the main card at WrestleMania. It was also the first time that the tag team titles were defended at the event since WrestleMania XXIX. The victory also saw Jeff Hardy pick up his first WrestleMania win having a previous 0-5 record at the event.
4. After losing on his WrestleMania debut the year before, Kevin Owens picked up his first WrestleMania victory against former best friend Chris Jericho to become the United States Champion for the second time. Like Owens, AJ Styles also picked up his first WrestleMania win on his second attempt with a win over Shane McMahon in the opening match of the night.
5. After missing the previous WrestleMania, Seth Rollins scored a victory over former mentor Triple H in a non-sanctioned match. Rollins missed WrestleMania 32 due to a serious knee injury sustained at a house show in Dublin, Ireland the previous November. Rollins nearly also missed this year’s WrestleMania after suffering a reoccurrence of that injury, after an ambush by Samoa Joe at the end of January. Rollins underwent intense training and was successful in being cleared in time to compete. In the event that Rollins would not make it to WrestleMania, Finn Balor was the rumoured replacement to take on The Game. This was Triple H’s 12th defeat on the showcase of immortals, a WrestleMania record.